Tuesday, 20 October 2009

Looking Forward to the Death of SMS

Reading the November 2009 edition of PC Media view point analysis: Mari Menunggu Kematian SMS (Awaiting the Death of SMS) is kind of liberating. I've been waiting so long for that moment. The death of SMS that is.

I was an SMS freak in my younger years...I can type the whole 160, 320, even 480 characters message without having to look at my phone, no error. It's true. No joke here.
I am not sure since when...but these recent years, I am so sick of SMS. Friends and family often complaints that I seldom reply their text. I'd rather call than text.

Call me lazy...but I don't enjoy texting, not as I used to.
Beside...texting (while driving) can kill you.


With SMS, I feel like we're going back to the age of the "pager". Sometimes, I get a very late response to my SMS (basi deh). SMS is not for quick response conversations, it's for something that need no response or require very little response.


It's ridiculous to text when you can call (there shouldn't be any budget constraint... cellular operators are at war with the cheap tariff, so...nope...no excuse). I think people are becoming more and more practical these days.

Social networking is used very heavily by the mobile web users. This also consequently implies that the operators are likely to see a drop in their revenue from SMS business, which I think will be compensated by an increase in the volume of data usage in the country. This is mainly because it would be more economical to send an email via mobile internet instead of sending an SMS.


With the euphoria and rave over Blackberry and iPhone with Social Networking like Facebook, Twitter, Hi5, YM, etc... I don't think it will be long till we see the death of SMS. I know I HAVE been expecting that day to come.

8 comments:

G N F I said...

now i know why no sms passed your attention

Reza said...

i love SMSs...live on!

Reza said...

i love SMSs...live on!

virna medina said...

Reza: posting twice to emphasize yr comment ya? :)
GNFI/Ary: yeah...I reply yr sms didn't I? (at least today)...hehehe

Dedi Nurfalaq said...

Dear Virna,

SMS still exist and neede for someone/customers need short data from their counterpart such as a matter of volume of the product or List Order for certain product, price list and even address for hang out :).

others....quotation from famous people, best friends, holy pilgrim, which need to be documented.

Decreasing number and volume, maybe will happen shortly. But will not death, like pager as well.

That's mine

virna medina said...

Dedi, yes I think so.. it is still here..(despite the existance of blogs, social networkings, instant messagings, blackberries).

That's why we can update our FB status and tweet using sms (which I don't).

GNFI said...

To be honest, it is much harder to escape from a hungry lion chasing after you, than getting SMS reply for Ms Virna, which is so damn close to..impossibility.

virna medina said...

GNFI: yes Ary....you've made yr statement ...pretty obvoius, thank you :)))

I have to admit.. I DO have problems with SMS, yet I still reply yours... that means you're a good friend (ngeles ON)

Jangan kapox ya... :p