Wednesday, 21 May 2008

I Am Thinking of Converting Into a New Ideology...

Linux Ubuntu vs Mac OS X vs Windows Vista

Every several years a new Operating System (OS) is released. Both Mac OS X and Windows Vista were released in February this year, while Linux Ubuntu was released last April. To tell the truth I have yet try any of these OS, just sight seeing. At first I am dying to try Vista, but then I saw OS X. I don't have to be a computer scientist to tell there are some similarities between the two, in terms of appearance.


Pricing

The price of both OS is also in a very close range, while Ubuntu is an open source, so it is free to be downloaded from several mirror sites. Ubuntu wins the first battle.


Interoperability

What software and application can be operated from these OS? Windows owns the largest market, Mac lacks the multimedia software support while Linux is still expanding its share and earning some third party software. Windows wins.


User Friendly

When you buy Windows or Mac, you are buying the license to install the OS on a single machine, while Ubuntu is an open source application that encourages us to install and use it anyway we want, including change.


Security

Security is a very important factor for me. Windows has many users and consequently "gain" a tag as "victim of its own popularity". So many viruses and worms are written to attack Windows. I haven't heard that many viruses for OS X and rarely heard of Linux viruses.

Windows Vista

Mac OS X - Leopard


Linux Ubuntu

In the end, all these parameters should be carefully considered. If I am to use OS X or Ubuntu, I will have to take the risk of complicating my life, considering 99.9% of my workmates use Windows. But if I am to use Windows, I should prepare myself for constant updates from Microsoft, which I think will compromise my security settings. Laugh all you want, but I do believe Microsoft is using the constant update patch as an excuse to spy on us. Linux also have patches, but since it's an open source I am not complaining. OS X on the other side provide a full package, so no need to burden yourself with patch 1 - 1000. It seems that OS X is built by someone who knows what we want.

So.. what do I choose? I have decided that I am going to stick with my Windows XP for a moment until I'm ready to convert myself to a new Ideology. Not that 'm in love with Xp or anything. Most of the times I truly can't stand it, but I think I should be fair. My XP has been with me for nearly 7 years and share the ups and downs with me.

For the time being I will prepare myself for a new ideology. I think it's about time I seek what's best for me, without having to follow the crowd. O... I do believe I will convert into a new ideology. Yes.. I do believe OS is like ideology. Once you convert you will submit yourself and your data to it.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Med, kalau engga salah OS X Mac bisa di install lebih dari 1 PC Mac dan sudah termasuk program office nya.OS X Mac juga bisa di install Windows.
Kesimpulan nya dari pada pakai 2 OS mendingan pakai 1 aja, tetep Windows sihh.....
Thank's anyway

virna medina said...

Thanks for the insight Lex. Ini gunanya kalo blog dibaca, jadi tahu insight orang. As I know, OS X yang diinstall di other than Mac tuh kudu di-crack dulu deh. There is also a known risk to this: Mac can de-activate the OS X once detected. Huhuhu...

Actually, I am thinking of converting. Really. To Linux or Mac But Mac is sooooo expensive. The Mac Book (classic) only cost you about 11 million (excluding OS X, Office 2008 for Mac and of course the famous Keynote). For the record budget is a main parameter here, hehehe... So... Linux Ubuntu might just be what I'm looking for :)

Any insight is welcome..

noname said...

Hi Vir, you've good OS vizhu'neree :)
Melirik 'open source' nii, satu lagi ada buatan lokal yaitu IGOS menggunakan metodologi open source .. Sya sendiri masih pake Windows karena masih dibayarin kantor lisensinya yaah :P .
Saya jg cuma baru sebatas melihat dan bergaul ama temen2 yang aktiv menggunakan linux juga Mac. kalo sy amati, seperti ada perbedaan penggunanya di tiap OS. Siapa yang gak tau windows, bahkan bajakannya ada dimana2. Kemudian pemakai Mac sepertinya temen2 yg suka photograpy, music, dan animasi. Sedangkan pemakai Linux bagi temen2 programer, kreatif di IT, bahkan pengembang perangkat lunak dari rumahan hingga kantoran bisa dijual tinggi dengan biaya yg rendah.
Tapi sy (pemakai) pribadi, jika mampu bayar lisensi dan mesin kuat, mending pake Mac karena sy suka multimedia. tapi apadaya open source bisa didapat dengan mudah (gratisan), dipake dimana2, dan gak masalah dengan 'update' sepertinya jadi 'dual OS' deeh..

Happy convertion ..

Reza said...

ui Mbak Virna,

It's been too long since i laid my fingers on a Linux computer, last time it was Linux Red Hat, years ago, it was painful! I love my old pc with win 98 in it.

When you're talking about converting, do note that the frictional cost of switching operating systems and lack of support for certain hardware and application programs designed for Microsoft Windows have been two factors that have inhibited adoption. But i'm guessing compatibility won't be an issue some time soon, some major developers are on the brink of straightening this issue. So that leaves us with user-OS compatibility, as you said, this is an ideology, it will take sometime to get used to, and it will cost not only money but also time (and a lot, i mean a LOT, of patience ;p)

As for Mac OS, can't say much, an emulation tech "Rosetta" made it easier for Intel-based Macs in the transition, and Intel is well known for its versatility to be paired with OSs, that leaves us again with user-OS compatibility issue.

I forgot about the cost issue ;p

Cheers!