Tuesday, 11 March 2008

Loving Love

We are more in love with desire than with the desired.
~Friedrich Nietzsche~


The above line is taken from When Nietzsche Wept, a movie tribute to Friedrich Nietzsche, one of the great thinkers of all time. Yet, this post will not specifically discuss the movie. Instead, we will explore more on love. Sound cheesy and lame? Yep! Am I being all weepy and mellow? You bet!

So what’s the sudden interest on this subject? Need I say more? As I consider myself a normal human being, I myself have experienced the so-called love thing. I consider myself quite generous as I have over and over again falling in and out of love. The teacher, an uncle’s friend, classmate, the university lector, the security that guarded my office building (yes!), a fellow activist, a newspaper reporter and on and on. Believe me; I could go for the complete list and gagged you with amazement. It’s a long list, but hey… I am 32 and the love thing sometimes and very often last in a blink of an eye (chuckle).

My friend yelled at me: Girl, that’s not love! You’re crazy. Maybe I am, but so do you. If time is the parameter and if we go through the list once again and you ask me how many of the list lasted at least one year, I can say they’re about 4 out of 15. How many lasted at least 3 years and it will be only one person. If emotion is the main parameter, I would dare say only one person make it to the top, which I still feel very emotional around. Yet, if you ask me which one is my true love, I’d say none. Zero.

If that is the case, most of you would push me and say, you're dead inside! Hell no! Death is not on my wish list, at least I hope not so soon. The people on the list played quite an important part in building my inner feeling, during harvest times. After that, the feeling usually went back to my old self. I consider myself not a monotheist in term of love. I love being in love and will try and seek chance in order to get the slightest emotion.

Let’s go back to the very definition of love, "for love is the seeds of happiness" (Ghazali).



Essentially, love is a tendency toward pleasure that related to our senses. Each sense seek something that can give pleasure. Our eyes seek something beautiful in vision, our ears seek music. This kind of love also experienced by animals, yet human have sixth sense, which is perception inside our heart and this perception is not possessed by other creatures. With it, we become aware of the beauty before our eyes. As my own experience, I believe love has been violently misunderstood. We immediately assume ourselves as being in love toward someone.

Back to the movie mentioned above, Nietzsche seeks love all his life and I think we all do.

That my friend - is the very nature of love.

2 comments:

Akhyari said...

I am wondering ( and worried ), the description of love you describe is different from what i expect you to 'really' have. If you know what I mean.

Reza said...

akhyari,

I am wondering the same way (not worried though). Mbak Virna is, perhaps, in love with the process of being in (and perhaps out of) love. And if you're saying what i'm thinking you're saying, i'm sure that kinda "love" is waiting just around the corner for Mbak Virna ;) or perhaps just around the building ;p

visit societyofsoul.blogspot.com