Thursday, 4 June 2009

Big Whiskey and The GrooGrux King


I've been listening for the first single (Funny The Way It Is) of the new Dave Matthews Band album (post title) since March this year (the band generously let their fans download the song in their official website). All I can say is: this song made me very much looking forward to the real deal.

The cover is designed by Dave himself and picturing the late LeRoi Moore (DMB saxophonist who passed away last year in an accident). Roi's death was actually in the middle of this album recording process. GrooGrux King is his nick name and the album art explain Roi and the band well.


This is their first studio album since 2005 and if you're a die hard fans like me and hoping for Dave's acoustic, don't get your hope high as he's shifting (at least for this album) to more electric. But somehow his move makes perfect sense without leaving his signature guitar play and quirky and brilliant lyricism.

(Listening to this album while writing this post) I'm catching similarities with 1998's Before These Crowded Streets.

DMB wind up returning to their roots and reviving the loose-limbed jams, a sound they've largely abandoned. Now, everything seem to be falling into places, their signature clean and elastic solos are back - on record. Since this is the band that is widely recognized for their outstanding and exhaustive live performances (which is better than their studio versions).

You can expect to find epic song ala "dont drink the water" (Squirm - the ref is perfection!), implicit messages that all love (Laying in the Hands of God) and loss (Why I Am) can be felt and shared through music. I can feel the band's loss of a very dear friend. Music creation itself is the reason they're here - and it's not just an album tribute to LeRoi Moore, it's a reason for the band to keep moving on. This album is the perfect interpretation of the new millennium DMB and I'm loving it to the core.

Verdict:
Big Whiskey & the GrooGrux King is by far DMB's richest, most powerful and quite possibly best album.

No comments: