Sunday, 14 June 2009

Believing is Seeing BEFORE The Presidential Election


Seeing is Believing or Believing is Seeing?

For modern people, seeing IS believing. They don't like to rely too much in "believing" without having to see first, including Indonesian. Ratio and logic create the post modern Indonesian, neglecting our signature "supernatural" thinking (GOD, the after life, doomsday, destiny, fate, etc).

Let me put it in a simple way. We have 3 presidential candidates. Mr. Lanjutkan, Mr. LCLB and That Other Lady Who Likes to Whine - Mrs. TOLWLW (below).



How do you describe each candidate (visually)?

Mmmm...let's "see".....

From left to right:
  • Mr. SBY: Our current president. Physically large man. I can "see" that he's got a certain physical feature that makes me think of him as ill tempered (hmmm...I wonder why). Known as Mr. Lanjutkan (again, I wonder why).
  • Mr. JK: our current vice president. Not as large and intimidating as his current partner, Mr. SBY. Looks like an older version of Charlie Chaplin. Currently famous as Mr. LCLB (the sooner the better -for what exactly?)
  • Mrs. TOLWLW: our former president. Really? Physically she looks like an ordinary housewife. She's now going for another chance on the Istana Negara. Again? Really?

Stop right here about the visual descriptions.
Did I just say visual? Well... never-mind then.

See that my feelings and perception of these 3 candidates interfere with the so-called physical description. I describe (incidentally) in both physical and non-physical terms.

Have I seen them in person? Actually none. So... what makes me describe their non-physical virtue? My knowledge on what I see, hear and think of them based on their visual appearances on the media.



Seeing is believing.
So because they are unsighted, they don't or can't afford to believe.

This is just too disturbing a statement. I can't even go on, so let's just stop here on the unsighted.

In the end... whomever you vote for, you don't rely on visual description. Well... not 100%. You rely on your sense (and ratio). Again - debatable - as ratio tend to linked with "what's in it for me". Since only certain basis point of the citizen are likely to gain direct benefit from the winner, I'd have to assume that we vote sincerely hoping for a better Indonesia not only based on what we see but on what we believe we see.

Do I see him (sorry Mrs. TOLWLW) as a better candidate compared to the other? Not exactly.
I believe he can bring us closer to a better Indonesia.

6 comments:

homesick as always said...

too good for politics... :)

virna medina said...

hahaha...that's why I don't mention the name and my reason based on visual tricks they presented in the media.

Anonymous said...

hmmm...... a believer I assume

Reza said...

i should add 'funny' to my list of how-i-describe-virna :)

virna medina said...

Not trying to be funny here, please.... ;p

Anonymous said...

Seeing is beLIEving