I do sometimes...to bond with my mum.
Here's my excuse: Being a working woman, by the time I got home, it usually around 7 or 8 pm and during that time my mum would be in front of the TV, watching her favorite sinetron.
Sure, I have a complete set of entertainment center and American TV Series (told ya...I'm half Americanized, but let's not get into that) in my room, but we often sit by her...yes....watching sinetron. For someone who dislike sinetron, I have a tolerable knowledge of it, being an obliged daughter that I want to be :p

What bothers us (me and my dad) is not the sinetron part, it is the content that makes us constant complainer every night. My mum used to comment: "aren't you both ever got tired of complaining?"
No, we don't.
If the programs are worth watching, we wouldn't care. Have you seen what our sinetron are all about recently?
The programs are all about wealth exploitation, looks, evil, torture, puppy-love, and consumerism. I've noticed that they usually have simple storylines....at the beginning. But.... when its gaining commercials (the success parameter, sadly), what would've been a good program is now no better than just a mere object of eye candy, with its eye soothing cast. But that's just about it. Now...it's just a crappy program that plays with viewers mind with its neverending conflict and crisis.
My dad used to say, the script writer, director and producer must have been lunatics to come up with an impossible storyline. And for what? Just to fulfill their obsession with money that runs through the incoming commercials....that's why they prolonged the plot into an impossible to believe storyline.

Through out the neverending episodes the main character suffers badly (if not tortured, both mentally and physically), and she or he doesn't get to be happy until one last episode. The main character usually is very weak and very giving, never think of herself, a do gooder, a saint, an angel. Arrrrgghhhh!!!!
Now...I have to pray that our Culture and Tourism Minister (do we still have one?) will see for himself and consider to warn TV station to stop harrassing their viewers with bad, bad programs. Is sinetron considered as culture? I think so, keeping in mind that all TV stations are going with the same programs at the same time. If not mistaken this is called "pop culture", so Pak Menteri...please...please revised these crappy programs.

Bring back program like Si Doel Anak Sekolahan, where the only antagonist was Zaenab's mom (but would not consider her as evil, just a human being...a saint if compared with current sinetron antagonists). Please produce more quality programs like Rumah Masa Depan, Losmen (hey...I'm reminiscing here) and Jendela Rumah Kita...even ACI.
Here's my excuse: Being a working woman, by the time I got home, it usually around 7 or 8 pm and during that time my mum would be in front of the TV, watching her favorite sinetron.
Sure, I have a complete set of entertainment center and American TV Series (told ya...I'm half Americanized, but let's not get into that) in my room, but we often sit by her...yes....watching sinetron. For someone who dislike sinetron, I have a tolerable knowledge of it, being an obliged daughter that I want to be :p

What bothers us (me and my dad) is not the sinetron part, it is the content that makes us constant complainer every night. My mum used to comment: "aren't you both ever got tired of complaining?"
No, we don't.
If the programs are worth watching, we wouldn't care. Have you seen what our sinetron are all about recently?
The programs are all about wealth exploitation, looks, evil, torture, puppy-love, and consumerism. I've noticed that they usually have simple storylines....at the beginning. But.... when its gaining commercials (the success parameter, sadly), what would've been a good program is now no better than just a mere object of eye candy, with its eye soothing cast. But that's just about it. Now...it's just a crappy program that plays with viewers mind with its neverending conflict and crisis.
My dad used to say, the script writer, director and producer must have been lunatics to come up with an impossible storyline. And for what? Just to fulfill their obsession with money that runs through the incoming commercials....that's why they prolonged the plot into an impossible to believe storyline.

Through out the neverending episodes the main character suffers badly (if not tortured, both mentally and physically), and she or he doesn't get to be happy until one last episode. The main character usually is very weak and very giving, never think of herself, a do gooder, a saint, an angel. Arrrrgghhhh!!!!
Now...I have to pray that our Culture and Tourism Minister (do we still have one?) will see for himself and consider to warn TV station to stop harrassing their viewers with bad, bad programs. Is sinetron considered as culture? I think so, keeping in mind that all TV stations are going with the same programs at the same time. If not mistaken this is called "pop culture", so Pak Menteri...please...please revised these crappy programs.

Bring back program like Si Doel Anak Sekolahan, where the only antagonist was Zaenab's mom (but would not consider her as evil, just a human being...a saint if compared with current sinetron antagonists). Please produce more quality programs like Rumah Masa Depan, Losmen (hey...I'm reminiscing here) and Jendela Rumah Kita...even ACI.
11 comments:
I am glad that u finally came back. I am in Cambodia now, a country which was torn apart for decades and left the dark history only 15 years ago. And I find that Cambodians also love to watch a sinetron-like programs on TV, i am not sure how bad is the sinetron here. The difference is, we gained our independence in 1945, more than 6 decades ago.
YI can assure you, watching sinetron KILLS ! It is deadly enough to torture criminals to get their confession, it is enough to downgrade indonesia's image into the lowest level, it is enough to make dead bodies come to live again.
BAN THE SINETRON !
(virna, your blog rank in alexa is not bad, people frequently visited your blog, even no updates. You should update more, babe)
I am glad that u finally came back. I am in Cambodia now, a country which was torn apart for decades and left the dark history only 15 years ago. And I find that Cambodians also love to watch a sinetron-like programs on TV, i am not sure how bad is the sinetron here. The difference is, we gained our independence in 1945, more than 6 decades ago.
YI can assure you, watching sinetron KILLS ! It is deadly enough to torture criminals to get their confession, it is enough to downgrade indonesia's image into the lowest level, it is enough to make dead bodies come to live again.
BAN THE SINETRON !
(virna, your blog rank in alexa is not bad, people frequently visited your blog, even no updates. You should update more, babe)
I have so much to say on this sinetron thingy but I limit myself and leave it to you and the rest...you put it best when saying it KILLS to watch sinetron.
Dear Directors, Scriptwriters, Producers, and other involved parties: does it kill you to produce a qualified programs?
Most of you are probably of Indian descent, but I watched Indian movies and TV Program (I have cable @ home) and I don't see some ridiculous story lines in them.
Hai Mbak,
I am in Indonesia now ;p , a country you know quite well prior to this post. Which should lead you to a better understanding that Indonesia's Television Broadcast is an industry, and by definition, industries are profit driven. Sooo...they'll do whatever it takes to make some ;)
And please don't expect too much out of Indonesia's Television Industry, i've given up a long long time ago.
You've got cable right? Make use of your subscription ;P
AC Milan Rules!
Ah, that means you haven't learnt the art of watching sinetron, Mbak Virna. When you watch one, don't use your brain and feeling. Just watch and see how the story develops. Sinetrons are supposed to be for people who want to relish the use of their brain after a long day at work. So in your case, you will never get to enjoy them because you think. :)
I don't watch sinetron to simply follow Reza's advice: make good use of my cable subscription. So perhaps it's time for you to go back to your own TV and watch cable programs?
Actually...not really watching..hehe...I normally spend 10-15 mins to follow the storyline, after that got my mum angry with the too much questioning (ngga ngikutin, tp nanya mulu, gitu katanya). The rest of the time me and my dad just watch to make obnoxious comments and remarks... kinda sad right (the sinetron part, not the 'me' part :p)
Ever wonder if this is a giant conspiracy eliminate local sinetron from our TV? You know...to address us..audiences to paid TV (indovision, kabel, astro, dst)?
Hmmm.....am I being too paranoid?
Guess so... (this is what I've gained from watching Heroes, Lost and Life.... a creative mind) :p
Indonesian sinetron is an anomaly. A world of its own. And maybe it is time for the govt to punish the producers, the director, and ...maybe the actors too. Put them in JAIL, and hehe..torture them to watch sinetron all time.
Sinetron is a making-money business, so does Kopaja, angkot, and PKL. When they overstep the boundaries, Satpol PP is coming with its bludgeon. GO GO SATPOL PP.
maybe its not banned. but how about we enter the sinteron world and started to change everything? make the breakthrough. make sinteron becomes more natural and alive. i want that to start. and i will be starting that revolution. who wants to go with me?
@ Vania: Not exactly banned, but the storyline is sooooo awful, it leave me speechless...
Sometimes the storyline was good, but then as it gained good rating, it went in the totally obnoxious and impossible direction, all for the sake of commercials
Anyway...waiting for your breakthrough in the sinetron world..keep me updated on your next move :P
have you heard about Tante Jahat in sinetron? a woman who always appear in every sinetron! I interviewd her! have your word in my blog ;D thanks
Genna:
Visited yr blog. Nice & original..keep it on ya, you're so funny. Yep.. that picture is kind of cliche right? the tante jahat profile in each sinetron is similar.
i feel sorry for cosmetic companies. How would they sell their products if everybody wants to be the innocent protagonist and no one wants to be
"tante jahat"...hahaha
sharing link yuks..
Post a Comment