Tuesday, 4 November 2008

Anti Smoking or Anti Smoker Campaign?



If you think this is cool, think again!

My dad and mum used to be smokers, but they quit like a over decade ago. Being a heavy smoker for like 20 years, my dad quit soon after finding out he has a heart disease and my mum (being the supportive wife) follows not long after. I still have a task of persuading (and threaten if have to) my brother to quit. Surely, no need to mention the serious implications to himself and others. Forget the environment for a moment.

This is about smokers and non-smokers.

Seriously......this is my third post about smoking and eventually I have to decide whether to post about the people who are actually DOING the smoking part.

They are called SMOKERS.


Personally I have nothing against them.....


Nope. Wrong! My mistake.
But...to think of it... it is kind of personal to me.




What's wrong with being personal?

It is personal when you feel like breathing (which is kind of your natural habit) to the already-not-so-fresh Jakarta air that has just been burdened by another pollutant.

It is personal to me when I sip into a nice cup of tea (that's right TEA, instead of coffee, as I'm trying to limit my caffeine intake) @ the warung kopi in Cikini with some friends and "accidentally" inhale some large amount of smoke release by a certain person into my lung.

This person is a very beautiful young lady (I have to say not yet reach to her 25th birthday) that decidedly with a mind of her own trying to shorten the life span of her amazing and soft skin (she was sitting quite near to me so I can see that she has great skin).




It is personal to me when a friend of mine arrive with a baby and decide to get another seat after seeing the young lady sitting next to me. Not because she felt threatened by her beauty (of course) but mostly because being the responsible mother that she is, it is impossible that she would let her 1 year old daughter breath that polluted air.

It is personal to me when that friend decided to get another (less comfortable) seat and table as far away as possible from that beautiful young lady.


It is VERY personal to me that I breath the polluted air (=smoke) that was released from her pretty mouth. I feel like receiving a CPR from her (with extra smoke).

Lastly.......I have nothing against smokers. Naaah.... I have EVERYTHING against smokers.

8 comments:

Bobby said...

Syukur gw gak ngerokok jg mbak :p
dan memang trus terang agak kurang seneng jg ama rokok. Kebiasaan jg di keluarga gak ada yg rokok. :p
Kampenye yang bagus nih mbak, katanya MUI mau ngeluarin fatwa ttg rokok ini.

Akhyari said...

it will take forever to ban cigarette in Indonesia. Let's deal with it, and slowly promote the "being a responsible smoker".

virna medina said...

Probably take forever. Doesn't matter. What matter is that we keep on banging them to quit or at least (as you put it) be a sensible smoker.

Ask for permission (to corrupt someone's lung) before smoking doesn't hurt.

~Constant banging and campaigning matter~

Anonymous said...

alhamdulillah.. bukan perokok juga, jadi anti smoking lah..

Ratusya said...

mampir...saya juga anti ama asep rokok!!

virna medina said...

@ Chodirin: thanks fr adding me
@ Ackmalia: thanks for mampir. Tukeran link yuk :p

Akhyari said...

i must admit, i always get unhappy anytime i open this blog, recently. Why? simple...this has not been updated for centuries ..>!!!

Agung said...

Wow, it's so personal to me :)
I agree with you.