Friday, 26 August 2011

There's Nothing Like a Reunion (part 1 out of 2)



The other day I received a Facebook invitation that gave me pause. My boyfriend watched me open it, and sensed something he'd not seen on his girlfriend's face before. Not anger. Or sadness.

"What is that, hon?" He asked.
"An invitation to my high school class reunion get together in a breakfasting event of Ramadhan." I made this choking sound that he'd probably hadn't or never seen before. 
"Are you going?"

"Good lord, I hope I don't have to."
"Why not?
"Well, baby, I can think of at least dozens of reasons off the top of my head"
For some people, high school is the best thing that have ever happened to them. Their days were filled with the so called friends that they truly enjoyed. People who shared their "values" and "sense of humor".

By humor I mean putting others down to make themselves look good. Saying one thing when they actually meant another opposite. Praising this particular girl when they actually bitch about her all year long. Telling bad things about her to others (including me). Well... you know what? I don't want that kind of friend. I'd rather befriended the girl they're bitching about. She's actually done nothing wrong to these girls. Being part of this group I actually felt bad and in no time I decided that I want no part of it.


These high school characters are actually never stay in touch after high school. Enter Facebook. Thanks to Facebook these people that I am particularly fine without are sooo back in my life. Well... great job Facebook. Thanks to you now I have these "wonderful" people back in my life. Thanks to you I have to answer to lots of unwanted friend requests. BF (Before Facebook), I have absolutely no contact with any of them and I'm like totally OK with that. Now I have somewhat like hundreds of unwanted friends (which is impolite for me to reject, since I actually knew them before). I believe some of them referred to me as "arrogant bitch" and yet manage to maintain sweet and friendly face expression when face to face. 

How Lovely!

Next: should I or shouldn't I?

No comments: