Wednesday, 23 December 2009

What are Your Top 10 Songs?

I really2 like Brit bands (the big names like Beatles and U2), but I deeply appreciate American band like Dave Matthews Band and Dave Matthews's solo performance (have a major crush on Dave).

Dave Matthews Band

I also adore Rufus W, particularly his album Poses.
He's just one gorgeous gay and I mean he truly relies on his music and never throws some popularity stunt the way Adam Lambert did at the AMA. We know you're gay Adam, get over yourself.

Rufus Wainwright

Or Adam Lambert? What a waste of talent.

A little pop couldn't hurt either, that is why I appreciate Robbie Williams and Stevie Wonder, with all their quirks.

Oh... and another last year discovery, Peter Bjorn & John... they're just so witty to pass.


Ok, here's the list.
1. Dodo by Dave Matthews
2. Ants Marching by Dave Matthews Band
3. Grace is Gone by Dave Matthews Band

4.
Paris 2004 - Peter Bjorn & John
5. Advertising Space - Robbie Williams

6. From the Bottom of My Heart - Stevie Wonder

7. Grey Gardens by Rufus Wainwright

8. While My Guitar Gently Weeps by The Beatles

9. Across The Universe by The Beatles (and the Rufus Wainwright version)

10. Mysterious Ways - U2

11. Memories and Dust by Josh Pyke

12. Suddenly I see - KT Tunstall

13. Sleeps with Butterflies by Tori Amos

14.Tears for Affairs by Camera Obscura

15. If She Wants Me by Belle & Sebastian

I can't help posting number 11-15, here are why:


1. Currently liking Josh Pyke, an Australian by the way (the first Australian musician I really appreciate since Pete Murray)
.

Josh Pyke

2. Really2 like KT Tunstall & Tori Amos's vocal, music and style - They rock without being over the top like Amy Winehouse or that Lady Gaga (gasp!)

3. As I was saying, adore Brit bands. My latest discoveries are Belle & Sebastian and Camera Obscura. Can't get enough of them.


Belle & Sebastian

Camera Obscura

14 comments:

GNFO said...

1. Love is on the way -- Saigon Kick
2. True -- Spandau Ballet
3. Stuck in a Moment --- U2
4. November Rain --- GnR
5. One -- Metallica
6. Miss you in a heartbeat -- Deff Leppard
7. Dan --- Sheila on 7
8. Bintang di Surga --- Peterpan
9. Not one night --- Mr. Big
10. Heal the World --- M.J

virna medina said...

Arry, Thanks for participating.
Forgot all about Saigon Kick and Def Leppard, used to adore them in the 90s.

GNFI said...

I think, i am quite lost in this new music generation since 2-3 years ago. I must admit that since the massive expansion of RnB, which to me is a lethal poison to music world, i listened to Indonesian music more. It's not bad at all, in fact, some are even better than their peers outside. Now, rock bands from UK, Europe, US, tend to simplify their music,less melodious, less "complicated", just to make it easy-listening. Well to me, to make it easy listening, you must work hard to create songs.
Gosh, i really wish bands like Dream Theatre, Skid Row, Deff Leppard, come to surface again.

Reza said...

eh home come that rufus guy looks like benicio del toro?

anyways...my list:

1. Someday I'll be Saturday Night - Bon Jovi
2. Somewhere Over the Rainbow - Israel Kamakawiwoele (bener ga?)
3. Track of My Tears - Smokey Robinson
4. Dream Big - Sakai
5. Life is Like a Boat - Rie Fu
6. Still Haven't Found What I'm Lookin' For - U2
7. Soldier Of Love - Pearl Jam
8. If You Walk Away - Peter Cox
9. Soul to Squeeze - RHCP
10. Antara Benci dan Rindu - Ratih Purwasih

Unknown said...

Arry, yeah.. I also rarely follow current music, usually I just go to thesixtyone.com for reference on new artists. I think we should support new talents by listening to them.

Then, if they're THAT good I'll track em down and hunt for their albums (original, but usually pirated version, since they usually not avail in Indonesia...hahaha).

Reza, nice list. That Israel K guy is pretty good actually (yeah... akhirnya ngakuin juga). Like "tracks of my tears" peter cox version.

homesick as always said...

where is MR. jack (johnson)? probably no. 17 :) ...here's the 10 recently (cos it's changes every hour)...
1. U2 - Angel of Harlem
2. King of Convenience - Misread
3. DMB - The Best of Whats Around
4. Suzanne Vega - Luka
5. Death Cab For Cuttie - What Sarah Said
6. Radiohead - No Suprises
7. 10.000 Maniacs - What's The Matter Here
8. Tracey Thorns - Here It Comes Again
9. Edwin Mc Cain - Ghost of Jackson Square
10. Josh Pyke - Forever Song
there so many outhere.. 10 is not enough sis....

virna medina said...

Hindra,
You're right, 10 or 15 is not enough, the world is filled with lovely tunes. Felt rather bad for JJ as he landed on no 16 with his song Gone, also the decemberists and many others...

Hindra, Reza, Arry
It's good to compare list, to expand my listening horizon

metty said...

@ Reza:
"Antara Benci dan Rindu - Ratih Purwasih"???
Nice touch, man :))

Your music taste is almost out of this world, Mbak Virna! I only know Tunstall's Suddenly I see (and happen to also like it).

If I have to choose what song to be the number 1 on my top 10 songs, I'll choose "The way you look tonight" by Rod Stewart. Mellow mood's on :D

virna medina said...

@ Metty, i think it's because i get bored easily and look for more variety. Of course you've gotta love Stevie, Robbie, Beatles and U2 (see... almost normal taste..hahaha)

Anyway... really recommend KT Tunstall's Drastic Fantastic. Amazing album.

Yeah... Reza is a little bit "out of era" hehe

Reza said...

@Metty & Mbak V

yep..i apparently (still) live in the eighties...hehehe

Vintage is the new now!!

Anonymous said...

i heart belle&sebastian and camera obscura, and i can help to share my top 10, based on my itunes top25 here goes :

1. get me away (i'm dyin) - belle&sebastian
2. starlight - weezer
3. bulletproof - radiohead
4. all u need is love - beatles
5. this world is full of crashing bores - morissey
6. banana pancake - jj
7. lets get out of the country - camera obscura
8. stuck in a moment - u2
9. why are u lookin grave - mew
10. fidelity - regina spektor

besides the melodious tone, i used to listen to a song for their smart lyrics. and me ear doesn't get along quite well with r&b.

virna medina said...

@ anonymous:
your top 10 sounds very similar to my top 10. I always feel like a round peg in a square hole when it comes to music taste. what a relieve to find someone who's not into R&B ;p

You should try Train (I think they're the next big thing). Devilishly hopes they won't become "that" big, because then their music will be altered and get too commercial.

Anonymous said...

well you're not the only round peg around here :P and bout train, i'm downloading their albums, drop of jupiter and save me, san fransisco. but haven't listen to them yet. thanks :D

virna medina said...

anonymous:
how do u like train? they're good right? kinda reminds me of bon jovi a bit (the vocal).